
President Yoweri Museveni has pledged a donation of Shs100 million and a coaster van to journalists in the Ankole region. The announcement was made during a meeting with Ankole journalists at his Rwakitura home in Kiruhura District on Thursday. The donation aims to improve the economic well-being of journalists and address their transportation challenges, particularly for those working in remote areas.
During the meeting, President Museveni acknowledged the difficulties many journalists face, especially those employed by privately owned media houses where financial support is often inadequate. “I understand the challenges you face as journalists, especially in privately owned radio stations where facilitation may not be as expected,” Museveni said. “This support is meant to empower you so that you can improve your livelihoods.”
The Shs100 million will be channeled into the journalists’ Savings and Credit Cooperative Organisation (SACCO) to boost their economic status. The President emphasized that the funds should benefit all journalists in the region, including those who were unable to attend the meeting. “This is not money for just a few individuals. It should be shared and used collectively for the betterment of all journalists in the region,” he added.
Journalists present at the meeting expressed their gratitude for the President’s gesture, describing it as a significant boost to their professional and personal welfare. “We are grateful to President Museveni for recognizing our struggles and pledging this support,” one journalist said.
The donation of a coaster van was also warmly received. Many journalists highlighted the improved mobility it would provide, enabling them to cover events in far-flung areas more effectively. “With a vehicle at our disposal, movement will be much easier, and we will be able to cover stories across the region more efficiently,” another journalist shared.
The funds and vehicle are expected to strengthen the SACCO and provide essential support to journalists in Ankole, enhancing their daily operations and overall livelihood. This initiative is part of President Museveni’s broader effort to support journalists across the country. Last month, during his tour of Busoga, he made a similar pledge of Shs100 million and a vehicle to journalists in that region.
President Museveni’s commitment to supporting journalists reflects his recognition of their critical role in society. Journalists play a vital role in informing the public, holding leaders accountable, and promoting transparency. However, many journalists, especially those working in rural areas or for smaller media outlets, often face significant challenges, including low pay, lack of resources, and limited access to transportation.
By providing financial support and a vehicle, the President aims to address some of these challenges and empower journalists to perform their duties more effectively. The donation is also expected to foster a stronger sense of unity and collaboration among journalists in the Ankole region, as they work together to utilize the resources for their collective benefit.
The announcement has been widely welcomed by journalists and media stakeholders, who see it as a positive step toward improving the working conditions of journalists in Uganda. Many hope that this initiative will inspire similar support from other leaders and stakeholders, further strengthening the media industry in the country.
President Museveni’s pledge of Shs100 million and a coaster van to Ankole journalists is a significant gesture of support for the media industry. It highlights the importance of empowering journalists to overcome their challenges and continue playing their vital role in society. As the funds and vehicle are put to use, journalists in the Ankole region can look forward to improved working conditions, greater mobility, and enhanced economic stability. This initiative not only benefits individual journalists but also strengthens the media landscape in Uganda, contributing to a more informed and engaged society.